Free (or Cheap) Volunteer Work in Chile
We have a handful more projects to check out and add here but whether you want to work with children or rodent like things Chile already has the volunteering bases covered.
Grassroots Volunteering in Chile
The organisations listed below have either got in touch with us to add their details to this or another of our websites, or we otherwise have reason to believe they are actively looking for international volunteers and charge reasonable or no fees to join in, live and work with them:
The English Opens Doors Program is supported by the Chilean Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Programme - Chile. The Programme works to improve English language education throughout the Chilean public school system by providing teacher training, instructional materials, language competitions, English immersion camps, and study abroad scholarships for university students.
The National Volunteer Center recruits native English speakers to come to Chile and work as teaching assistants in Chilean classrooms. Volunteers teach and encourage the study of English while living with Chilean host families and interacting with members of the local community. Visit the sites for application deadlines and start dates.
Volunteer requirements are as follows:
* Be a native or near-native English speaker.
* Have completed a bachelor's degree from an accredited university and be between 21 and 35 years old.
* Be mentally and physically capable of teaching children.
* Have experience living or travelling in another country.
* Have an interest in Chilean culture and living in a developing country.
* Be highly committed, responsible, and flexible.
* Have access to sufficient funds in order to cover personal expenditures throughout the duration of the programme.
Where: Volunteers are placed in locations throughout Chile.
Accommodation & Costs: The English Opens Doors Program both is fee free and comes with numerous benefits for participating including accommodations and meals with a host family, incountry health insurance and transport, and a monthly stipend.
Help Exchange Networks in Chile
Volunteer Latin America - https://www.volunteerlatinamerica.com/volunteer-abroad/chile
Workaway - https://www.workaway.info/hostlist-CL.html
Hovos - https://www.hovos.com/host/South-America/Chile/
Other Ways to Travel or Stay for Free in Chile
Stay for free in return for caring for local residents' homes or pets. Join Trusted Housesitters to live rent free as a house sitter (Americans may prefer this link). You can also get a free $25 Airbnb credit from us here.
Wwoofing in OlmuĂ©, Chile - Rosie and Jon spent two weeks volunteering on a small farm in the mountain village outside of Santiago.
* not all these volunteer experiences are with grassroots NGOs or low cost organisations
Image copyright English Open Doors